Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Why have I chosen Brief 1?

I have chosen brief 1 because I have an idea for a Music video as I have the music and have a passion for it as my Step Brothers Band wrote it. Therefore, I think I can make that one the most creatively by using the codes and conventions and developing them by combing copying and transferring ideas from other music videos. With the help of social media my products will be able to spread internationally quicker e.g. Sharing it on Facebook and Uploading it to YouTube. Furthermore, the easy access the these sights with new media technologies  such as Apples I pad will make people search for them on-line as I feel Music Videos are much more popular than adverts and Short films. However, I will have to do a survey to make sure of this theory.

I don't think I could come up with an inventive idea with brief 10 the adverts as my idea about a yogurt called yo-yo yogurt would have been in the same genre - modern as I thought I would be able to make the slogan "To bring a spring back into your step" and target it at the elderly - over 60's. However, I thought that this brand could be slightly patronizing if taken the wrong way. Also it sounded like all other yogurt adverts a young woman supposedly old talking about the benefits of the product in a kitchen or a field so that all stereotypical women in kitchens can enjoy the supposedly natural yogurt so natural it was supposedly made in that kitchen or field. However, I didn't like the idea that there were restrictions to what could be filmed as i found this out while researching. Also I think that most audiences find adverts annoying especially direct mail which they receive unsolicited either by post or email  however some production companies see the advertisements they make as a work of art

In addition, I didn't use Brief 10 the short film brief because even though I had an idea I thought it may be very difficult to structure it. Nevertheless, I will explain the idea anyway: Basically, it is set in the future and its similar to  the film The Hunger Games maybe even a parody it and call it The Thirsty Games. The low budget would thus mean fewer characters. Therefore the three main characters would start normal days whether this is going to school work or a shopping to represent age or travelling around different areas such as London the countryside (pretending its - Scotland) and a coastal setting (Pretending its Cornwall) to represent regional identity. (Thinking about it the representation age is probably the easiest to produce as the actors age will be a primary part of the product). They each use an electronic device which is spying on them CCTV camera for the oldest actor who went shopping, The mobile phone for the child that went to school and the Laptop for the adult who went to work. However suddenly each person through a POV shot faints (Fade out) they each wake up in a strange garage like place there are three glasses and a note that reads "one glass is not poisoned two are. Unless you want to die of thirst it is suggested that you choose quickly and carefully. There can only be one survivor" Thus, the structure of this short film would start with the reaction shots with a voice over of the characters saying this and end with the same on a cliff hanger to create suspense and tension. To be honest I don't really know how to end it, and I don't like the idea that its short as if I were to really make this film I would like it to go global to receive maximum profit.

Although these are great ideas I know that when I come up with an idea for something I stick to it and don't use or relate it to my research. (This is what happened in AS as we struggled to open up to new ideas that the teachers were giving us which I now realise was  ridiculous considering they are the ones marking our work). Although I only have a vague idea for what I want to do with the music video I will be able to use my research more efficiently. furthermore if I were to really produce this I would be able to increase my profit by making a single and spreading it globally so it goes viral. This is reinforced by the following quote " The Music industry is both more 'open' than film making and less easily 'controllable' than traditional broadcast television" Stafford 2007. Nevertheless, the first thing I would need to do is find out the genre of my music to know what the codes and conventions I will be using in my music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment