Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Storyboarding

Due to the fact that my song is only 3 minutes in duration I have had to shorten it. This is also a result of the idea that if I have less to shoot I can shoot it with better quality. As the saying goes it's not quantity it's quality. Therefore the students no longer go to look at their reports in Mr Michie's room. This means that they just go to the art room get covered in paint and then leave the school to go to a club which is actually in the school itself but if the audience is not part of the school they would think that it's a normal club where a band is playing. Also I need better continuity which means in the detention the students need to be doing work with props such as books and pens it's read of just staring at the clock for a few seconds. Moreover when the teacher gets called to talk to another teacher the notion that they are standing outside the door would mean that the students wouldn't chance escaping the detention. Thus, I have decided only one teacher is needed as he can say "I will be back in a moment" through diegetic dialogue. This will be easier as the less people I need to get together the better because everyone is so busy. Hence I have Mr Smith. However I thought three members in a band would  not be enough so I also have Josh Riley playing guitar.

Therefore I have to re-story board for these shots as well as the clock shots. This is because Mr Michie said that in post production we could slow the footage of the seconds down to emphasise that time is going really slowly in the detention. Hence I need a shot reverse shot of the clock and the protagonists reaction.

Furthermore I have a dilemma I can either use the English room which looks like a typical British class room but the teacher said that he has to stay there late marking as he does not have an office or I can use Mr Michie's room that does not have a clock and doesn't look like a typical class room as it's a media room and it is a different layout. Although I could ask to borrow someone else's clock I would have to re-storyboard most of the shots because the room is payed out so differently. These two rooms are the best because they are closest to the art department where the next scene will be filmed so it will be easier to edit and shoot if I use these rooms. I could rearrange the desks to look like a typical class room but I wouldn't be able to see the dark night as there are no windows or doors to the out side. The best thing to do is write a pros and cons list of the rooms and decided from there. This is below:
And we have a winner! I will use the class room first story boarded. The only reason I was thinking of changing it was the fact that I do not need the fire door as the protagonists can use the corridor door as the teachers won't be standing there. The continuity will thus be improved as in some schools the fire alarm goes off if you open the door. 
I have also been struggling in keep up with the fast pace and getting a balance between the band and the narrative. However it does feel easier working on my own than in a group because in AS everyone had different opinions and ideas. So even though there is more work and more to the brief we now understand how to share our time and I knew how much I needed to research in order to get a real understanding of the genre my band and the product.  

This is the finished story board - the shots are much clearer in the animatic if further detail is needed




No comments:

Post a Comment