Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Summary of cd digipaks


Obviously without this background and not with the nail varnish as it's too feminine and this background happened to be here. Therefore I thought about combining this with the My Chemical Romance CD cover and using a skeleton or X-ray hand instead of stencil like Green Day. This it will have a negative effect on the image as the bones will be black to connote death.

I thought about using the Green Day CD cover so I could challenge and develop it I was thinking using the above so instead of connoting war I would connote peace then I got to thinking of other international hand gestures and came up with the above: OK

Moreover, the background will be white to combine and transfer my previous ideas the Blink 182 cover and connote purity as my positive representation is of age which could be interpreted as innocent like The Get Up Kids albums name. However, I will use different colours for the splattered paint instead of pink and black I want to make it more masculine by using bright green (like Weezer) and and light blue (like the Starting Line) I was thinking to include red splatters as well but I think that will be too much. Also the splatters could suggest that kids painted them as they are free of responsibility.

Therefore, I will try and challenge the conventions by having the artists name in red as none of the Cd's covers I have analyzed have this they only have the albums name in this colour for example Green Days and Taking Back Sunday is in white.

In addition, like The Get Up Kids has robots, hence I will have a lens in the middle of the OK sign to suggest that everyone is being watched by robots.

Furthermore, I will use the Motion City soundtrack and put the artists name in the same position and use the same a mixture of this font like the Green Day and Avril Lavigne. I will also transfer the same colour of Paramour's albums name for my album name Lets Hear it for the Vague Blur but use the scruffy kind of font from Motion City soundtrack and The Get up Kids. I thought about turning it 90 degrees anti-clockwise but thought it way not be clear what the sign is then.

In order to engage and interact the audience I have to produce a product that is familiar to my target market thus I have to combine transfer and develop my ideas. However, I will have to challenge these patterns of genre in order to interest broader audiences, be creative and appeal to people that like bands of the same genre but not by copying parts of their work. Usually if I look at a range of different designs I can use them as inspiration for my on choice of design.

I also had another idea which was to have a tea stained CD cover and keep it quite plain. This was it would once again relate to history. I would like this because my bands name is "Conquer of the Decade". My other idea relates to this because in the battle of Agincourt 1415 the hundred year war the French threatened to cut of the first two fingers of the English longbowmen to stop them firing arrows and permanently disarm them. When the English soldiers won they waved their fingers definately. This is where swearing with our index finger came from  Swearing with the middle finger originated in 423 when it was used in a play to represent a man's penis and testicles by socrates. Having research these hand gestures I feel that they may not be appropriate to my target audience of 10-25 year olds as most are reliant on parents to purchase the product

I did consider the two finger gesture which symbolizes peace which was used in the war to indicate victory. This got me thinking about other nation wide symbols such as the OK sign which is often used in diving because everyone knows it. Hence, this is a safety tip as when someone signals to go to the surface of the water for oxygen the other person replies with the above symbol.

The codes and conventions of CD covers is that they usually have an album name artists name and image. Digipaks have a booklet with the lyrics inside, and on the front of the booklet is the CD cover. Behind where the CD is placed is the image used on the front cover with less detail on it and the back cover usually have the acknowledgements and song list which which is quite plain and simple. I will not use any codes and conventions from the devil wears Prada or  Kings of Leon because I only analysed these because I felt that I needed to research synergy between the CD covers and the album adverts. This is because they are of different genres to the pop punk sub-genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment