Search This Blog

Monday 21 October 2013

conventions of music videos

  • Editing -The band breaks fourth wall whereas narrative is cut to quicken pace. For example Avril Lavigne's first costume change is edited out to keep up with the rhythm of the music. Also Weezer goes back and forth to the band and the narrative and to the rhythm. I was hoping I could have filmed in black and white to show age  but my feedback from my survey says not to. I also consider using an effect to make it look antiquated so that  it will follow the theme of history. 
  • Camera - There are mainly mid, long and close up shots to introduce characters and convey detail of emotion.
  • Mise - en - scene - usually has microphones and a stage for the band and props that help the narrative continue for example Paramore.
  • Sound - Non Diegetic is the main form of sound used because the singers lip sync and the people playing instruments are usually acting as though they are as the music is pre-recorded.
  • Light - None of the music videos that I have evaluated have been black and white. Thus this is not a normal pattern of the genres Music videos. However, I will have to check with my target audience by looking at the survey.
My ideas are on the brainstorm below:
I also thought about doing a war narrative based video as Green day (wake me up when September ends) Paramore (Now) and Avril Lavigne (When your gone) are all pop punk and contain this as the plot of their storyline. However, I do not have to budget for the set or scenery for this idea even though it would follow the conventions and lyrics of the music well.

Costumes - as explained in my mind map I will hopefully get the actors to use old school uniforms or hopefully they have a black pair of trouser and a white shirt then I could get hold of  school uniforms jumpers or blazers for students.  I will ask the teachers to wear suits and identify tags so that they look professional and show their age and this will separate them from the student.  The  location reinforces the representation of age because it is in a school.

No comments:

Post a Comment